Mwenge Catholic University – Background, Services, Academics and More
An erstwhile teacher’s college known as Saint Joseph’s Teacher’s College was the precursor to Mwenge Catholic University. The college was created in 2001 for the training of secondary school science teachers. In 2005, the college was promoted to a University College of Education affiliated with Saint Augustine University. In July 2014, the University College of Education (MWUCE) became a full-fledged university under the mandate of TCU. The new university came to be known as Mwenge Catholic University (MWECAU).
TEC (Tanzania Episcopal Conference) owns the university. Since its creation as a teacher’s college, Mwenge Catholic University has actively participated in community engagement endeavors and academic research to fulfill its duty as an outstanding institution and aid the government’s policy of spreading education training and facilities to Tanzania’s private sector.
Mwenge Catholic University has enlarged the initial vision to concentrate on wider issues of research and academic initiatives. Therefore, MWECAU has improved and increased its teaching, consulting and research staff. MWECAU’s total student population is 4,500, and the university has 213 staff members (non-academic and academic) for smooth operation. MWECAU offers courses from certificate to Ph.D. level. It offers programs like Bachelors in Statistics and Mathematics, Education, Environmental Studies and Geography, Humanities, and Business Administration. The university offers a P.h.D. program in Education and a Master’s program in Business Administration and Education. Postgraduate Diploma degrees are available in Business Management and Education.
Faculty of Science
The Science Faculty at Mwenge Catholic University was created to encourage innovation among young academics in the community. The lack of teachers in secondary schools motivated the creation of the faculty. The faculty trains committed and competent teachers. In recent times, the faculty has diversified to other fields of environmental sciences, agriculture, and natural sciences.
- BSc in General Chemistry
- BSc in Statistics and Mathematics
- BSc in Computer Science
Faculty of Education
Mwenge Catholic University has a Faculty of Education involved in various academic activities. The faculty’s main role is teaching and community service for national growth, as indicated in the school’s Charter. With its well-motivated and industrious staff, the faculty participates in many community engagements. The members of the faculty also participate in workshops, seminars, research, and many academic presentations to sharpen their skills.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Education
- Master of Education
- Bachelor of Arts and Education
- Bachelor of Science and Education
- P.h.D in Education
Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, Business Studies, and Economics
Mwenge Catholic University Faculty of Arts & Sciences is involved in many academic endeavors in the school. The faculty’s main role is teaching and community outreach and service for national growth. With its well-motivated and industrious staff, the faculty participates in many community engagements. The members of the faculty also participate in workshops, seminars, research, and many academic presentations to sharpen their skills.
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- A. in Environmental Studies and Geography
- A. in Social Work and Sociology
- A. in Project Planning & Management
- A Business Administration & Management
- A. in Philosophy with Ethics
Directorate of Non-Degree Programs
The Directorate of Non-Degree Programs was created to administer all non-degree programs in the university. The duties of the directorate cut across all faculties. The directorate is currently in charge of eight diploma programs and seven certificate programs in the university. It is also responsible for ensuring that the university works closely with NACTE.
- Certificate programs run for a year. There are certificate programs in the following fields: 1. Accounting 2. Business Administration 3. Law 4. Archives and Records Management 5. ICT 6. Procurement & Logistic Management 7. Social Work
- Diploma programs run for two years. There are diploma programs in the following fields: 1. Accounting 2. Business Administration 3. Law 4. Library Records & Archive management 5. ICT 6. Procurement & Logistic management 7. Social Work 8. Laboratory Technology (three years)
Directorate of Postgraduate Studies
Mwenge Catholic University Postgraduate Studies Directorate was created to oversee all postgraduate programs in the university. The directorate cuts across all the faculties in the University. The Directorate handles all PGD, Masters and P.h.D programs. It is also responsible for making sure that the University produces quality publications.
Available Programs include:
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Business Administration
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Education
- Master in Business Administration
- Master of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education
Directorate of Publications and Research
The Directorate of Publications and Research at MWECAU is saddled with the responsibility of overseeing all activities involving research and publication in the University. The directorate’s overarching duty is to enhance research, publication and consultancy capacity at MWECAU to produce and distribute knowledge that meets the needs of present-day society. In addition to helping the University’s academic staff, it also organises clinical gatherings to help P.h.D candidates to defend and write quality doctoral dissertations and other articles in peer-reviewed journals. The gatherings combine training in research techniques and methods and encourage students to publish their research papers based on primary sources. Students also receive collective mentoring from external and internal high-profile researchers and academicians.
Academic Programs – Mwenge Catholic University Courses Offered
The Directorate of Non-degree programs at Mwenge Catholic University was created to administer all non-degree programs at the University. The Non-degree Directorate cuts across all faculties in the University. Currently, the directorate offers eight diploma programs and seven certificate programs at the University. It also ensures that the University works closely with NACTE
Duties of the Directorate
- To supervise and teach Diploma and Certificate Programs
- To encourage creativity at MWECAU
- To supervise the advancement of continuing education at MWECAU
- To organize symposiums, seminars, and workshops on the learning and teaching of non-degree programs
- To closely work with the community to ensure the development of the community
1. Diploma Programs (Two years)
- Diploma in Law
- Diploma in Logistic and procurement Management
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Laboratory Technology (three years)
- Diploma in Social Work
2. Certificate Programs (One year)
- Certificate Program in Social Work
- Certificate Program in Law
- Certificate Program in Accounting
- Certificate Program in Business Administration
- Certificate Program in Logistic and Procurement Management
Mwenge Catholic University Undergraduate Programs
- B.A.in Project Management and Planning
- B.Sc. in General Chemistry
- B.Sc. in Computer Science
- B.Sc. in Statistics and Mathematics
- Bachelor of Business Management and Administration
- B.A. in Social Work and Sociology
- B.A. in Environmental Studies and Geography
- Ed. in Science (Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, ICT, Economics, and Chemistry)
- B.A. with Education (Economics, Swahili, English, Geography, and History)
- B.Sc. in Applied Biology
- Bachelor of Laws
- B.A. in Philosophy with Ethics
1. Postgraduate Diploma Program in Business Administration
A prospective applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree or above in a non-business-related field from any recognized university.
2. Postgraduate Diploma Program in Education
A prospective applicant for the PGDE program must hold a bachelor’s degree in any field from Mwenge Catholic University or any equivalent qualification from any recognized Tanzanian university. However, graduates of non-Tanzanian universities will be scrutinized individually.
1. Master of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration in Finance
- Master of Business Administration in Human Resources Management
- Master of Business Administration in Marketing Management
2. Master of Education (MEd) Programs
- MEd in Higher Education Management
- MEd in Educational Evaluation and Assessment
- MEd in professional Practice in Secondary Education
- MEd in Instruction and Curriculum
- MEd in Professional Practise in Higher Education
- MEd in Educational Administration and Planning
- Ph.D. in Educational Evaluation and Assessment
- Ph.D. in Curriculum Studies
- Ph.D. in Educational Planning and Administration
Apply Online – Mwenge Catholic University Online Application
- Applicants can apply to the University via the Mwenge Catholic University online application link on uas.mwecau.ac.tz or use this link (https://220.127.116.11/uas/)
- For Postgraduate, Diploma, and certificate programs, applicants should download the application form from the University’s website at mwecau.ac.tz
- If you need further help, you can call 0755154215 or 0758889984
The Health Centre is a core part of Mwenge Catholic University. It offers medical services to staff, students, and inhabitants of Uru South in the Moshi District. The Health Center is located inside the campus, and it is within easy reach of the students as well as the community.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Philosophy with Ethics
- Sustainable Business & Employability through the Innovative Pedagogy of HEI
- Gender Equality and Active Citizenship through International Teacher Education
- Guidance & Counseling
- Library Service
- Health Center
- Weekend Programs
- Full-Time Programs
- Evening Programs
- Academic Programs
- Directorate of Publications and Research
- Directorate of Postgraduate Studies
- Directorate of Non-Degree Programs
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, Business Studies, and Economics
The construction of the Mwenge Catholic University health center began in 2014. The construction was done simultaneously with the recruitment of staff, purchase of furniture and medical equipment as well as the registration process. Currently, the center’s main building houses different departments and units, including pharmacy, labor room, inpatient, outpatient, minor theater, and laboratory.
The operating theater, pediatric, and female wards are being constructed, and the completion is dependent on available funds. The facility’s shops and canteen started operating in January 2020.
There are security measures in place at the health center to ensure the security of patients and staff. The facility is fenced and has a surveillance camera system supported by watchmen on the rear and front gates.
Staff orientation took place from November 2017 to January 2018. The center was registered with the Ministry of Health around the same time. The facility started with 17 medical personnel and a single attendant. There are 41 staffers at the facility currently.
The health center officially started offering medical services around the middle of April 2018. It subsequently became a National Health Insurance-accredited facility in June 2018. Thus, students and staff insured under National Health Insurance can get proper care from the facility under the benefit of their insurance. Archbishop Isaac Amani officially opened the health center in November 2018. The District Commissioner and many district officials were at the event.
The health center offers medical, obstetrical, surgical, diagnostics, and nursing services. It has a total of 20 beds; there is also a delivery room that has two beds.
Information and Communications Technology developments have raised the expectations and demand of the Mwenge Catholic University library users beyond traditional library services. Currently, information resources are available in non-print and print forms, which was impossible in the past. Libraries have struggled to handle challenges like lack of funds, curriculum changes, information bursts in various media and forms, and lack of space. Libraries stock journals, magazines, books; tapes, DVDs, CD-ROMs, and various electronic materials. Therefore, development and collection have become challenging and exciting assignments for libraries in this age and time, as they include a system of bringing many information resources to meet the needs of users in a cost-effective and timely manner by choosing and collecting information resources generated internationally, nationally, and locally. Therefore, it is important to create a development and collection policy that sets a model and criteria that regulates the development and collection process in libraries.
A development and collection policy serves the following functions:
- Information on current collections
- Aids cooperative development and collection
- Helping staff involved in development and collection to reevaluate the objectives and aims of the organization
- Budgeting support
- Communication medium between outside users and the library
- Aiding general collection management exercises, including gift handling, selecting and deselecting materials; retention, weeding; discarding, and preservation of library items while referencing specific levels of collection breadth and depth.
Guidance and Counselling
Guidance and Counselling services have an inclusive nature and a developmental approach. The services are offered personally (person-to-person) and offer open-ended solutions to problems. Through the Mwenge Catholic University guidance and counseling program, individuals can offload their frustrations, concerns, confusions, and fears with professional help in trust and confidence. Guidance and Counselling services are aimed at helping students to fully realize their capability regardless of emotional, social, physical, professional, educational, and global societal changes. Mwenge Catholic University is aware of this need and created the Guidance and Counselling Department to meet the need and enhance success opportunities in the lives of all the members of the University community, including staff and students.
Mwenge Catholic University Login
For more articles related to Education in Tanzania, click here!