Swahili Food Recipe: Coconut Rice, Peas and Carrots Combo
Tanzanians use coconut milk in a variety of dishes, which renders this Coconut rice creamy and thick. For a full supper, pair it with barbecued meat or fried veggies.
Tanzanian Coconut grains with Peas and Carrots.
Overview – Recipe for Coconut Milk Rice
YIELDS– six Servings
TIME TO PREPARE 10 MINUTES
TIME TO COOK: 35 MINUTES
TIME TO COMPLETE 45 MINUTES
Adult assistance is required.
Coconut Rice Recipe Ingredients
- Two cups of basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk for rice
- ½ a cup of peas
- ½ a cup of carrots, diced
- one teaspoon of turmeric powder
- salt to get the taste
How to Make Coconut Rice Step by Step
- Drain the rice after rinsing it in cold water.
- Combine the rice and the remaining ingredients in a moderate pot over high temperatures.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Bring down the fire to a very low setting and cover the saucepan with a lid. Steam for approximately fifteen mins more, or until the grain is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Bring down the saucepan from the fire and set it aside, covered, for another 5 minutes. Then start cooking rice in coconut milk by dishing out the coconut milk rice with a fork to fluff it up.
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!