Swahili Food Recipe: Mchemsho wa Kuku (Boiled Chicken Mixed in Vegetables)
Mchemo Recipe Overview
Mchemsho wa Kuku soup isn’t something you’d eat daily, but it’s a tasty dish that can be made with fish rather than chicken.
PREPARATION 15 MIN
6 HOURS OF COOKING MCHEMSHO SOUP
EASY SKILL LEVEL
Ingredients for Mchemsho Recipe
- One whole chicken
- Two garlic cloves
- one × 4-centimetre piece of peeled fresh ginger
- One lime (juiced)
- four chopped potatoes
- two sliced carrots
- one chopped tiny green capsicum
- one sliced little yellow capsicum
- two sliced tomatoes
- four spring onions or walking onions
- a handful of baby spinach or makaranga mwitu
- 500 millilitres of milk
- 200 grams yoghurt (organic)
Mchemsho Recipe Instructions
- Gently bring a large pot of normal water to a boiling point over extremely high heat. Clean the prepared chicken and cut it up into bite-sized pieces. Place the chopped chicken in the pot of boiling water.
- Crush the garlic, lime and ginger in a mortar using a pestle. Into a saucepan of boiling water, sifter the mixture. Cook for fifteen minutes before adding the potato, capsicum, tomato and carrot/
- Meanwhile, warm the milk in a different saucepan until it boils. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook the Mchemsho soup until the liquid has reduced slightly, then stir in the yoghurt—Cook for six hours on low flame. Serve Mchemsho soup in a different dish.
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!