Swahili Food Recipe: The Famous Coconut Donuts (Visheti)
Visheti Recipe Ingredients
What is Visheti in English? They are pretty much coconut donuts, and here are the ingredients used to make them:
- 1 1/2 kilogram flour (wheat)
- Vanilla Essence, one cap (Bottle of Vanilla)
- 2 tsp. melted butter
- three teaspoons of custard powder
- 1/4 gallon milk/1/4 gallon water
- A sprinkle of salt
- 1-litre oil (cooking)
Sugar Syrup Ingredients
- One cup of water
- Sugar, 3/4 cup
- ten pieces of cardamom
Visheti Preparation Method
- Dissolve the butter.
- Combine the custard powder, salt, melted butter, and wheat flour in a mixing basin.
- steadily pour in the cream and mix it in.
- Pull the contents together to make a dough (do not mix the dough if you prefer non-soft vikokoto\visheti).
- Separate the batter into three balls.
- Cut the batter into long and thin strips using both hands and a knife.
- Cut each strand into smaller pieces with a knife.
- The slices are ready for deep frying right away.
Visheti Deep Frying Instructions
- In a frying skillet, heat the oil until it is hot.
- Please take a few squares and drop them into a pot of boiling water.
- After five mins, turn the visheti and fry until the preferred gold-like brown colour is achieved.
- Drain all excess oil after removing it from the oil.
- Allow it cool completely before dipping your visheti into the sugar syrup.
Sugar Syrup Coating for Visheti
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vanilla, water, and cardamom.
- Bring the entire mixture to a boiling point, then reduce the fire to a low flame and let it cook.
- Saute for a few mins till it thickens moderately.
- Pour in the syrup on top of the fried Vishete.
- Throw the vishete in syrup and shake it.
- Continue to shake the pan to flip the vishete up into the air, then return it to the fire until the sugar coating on the visheti turns whitish.
- Take the Visheti off the fire and place the them on a tray to cool completely.
Then, to keep the crunchiness, preserve them in a sealed container.
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!