A Guide to Enjoying Sunny Days and Beach Bliss: Zanzibar Tanzania Weather in December
Are you dreaming of sun-soaked beaches, crystal-clear waters, and tropical paradise? Look no further than Zanzibar, Tanzania, in December. With its breathtaking beauty and idyllic weather, this enchanting destination promises the perfect getaway for beach lovers and sun seekers.
The Zanzibar Tanzania weather in December basks in the warmth of the tropical sun, creating an inviting atmosphere for relaxation and exploration. With temperatures ranging from the mid-20s to low 30s Celsius (mid-70s to high 80s Fahrenheit), this is the ideal time to soak up the sun and take a refreshing dip in the Indian Ocean.
Why December Is the Best Time to Visit Zanzibar
December is considered the best time to visit Zanzibar for several reasons. Firstly, the weather is outstanding, with plenty of sunshine and minimal rainfall. This means you can make the most of your beach holiday without worrying about sudden downpours. The warm temperatures are perfect for sunbathing, swimming, and enjoying water sports.
Another reason to visit Zanzibar in December is the festive atmosphere. The locals celebrate Christmas and New Year with vibrant street parties, traditional music, and delicious feasts. You’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and experience the joyous spirit of the season.
Additionally, December falls within the dry season in Zanzibar, making it an ideal time for wildlife enthusiasts. The lack of rain means that animals gather around watering holes, making it easier to spot them during game drives or nature walks. If you’re interested in exploring the rich biodiversity of Zanzibar, December offers a great opportunity to do so.
Zanzibar Tanzania Weather in December – Temperature and Rainfall
The Zanzibar Tanzania weather in December is warm and tropical, with average temperatures ranging from the mid-20s to low 30s Celsius (mid-70s to high 80s Fahrenheit). The days are sunny and perfect for outdoor activities, while the nights offer a pleasant coolness for a comfortable sleep.
Rainfall during December is minimal, with an average of 60mm spread over the month. This means you won’t have to worry about your plans being disrupted by heavy showers. However, it’s always a good idea to carry a light rain jacket or umbrella, just in case.
The warm temperatures and low rainfall make December an ideal time for beachgoers and water enthusiasts. Whether you’re lounging on the soft white sands or snorkeling in the crystal-clear waters, the weather in Zanzibar during December will enhance your experience.
What to Pack for a December Trip to Zanzibar
When packing for your December trip to Zanzibar, it’s important to consider the warm and tropical weather. Here are some essential items to include in your suitcase:
- Lightweight and breathable clothing: Pack light, loose-fitting clothes made from natural fabrics such as cotton or linen. These materials will keep you cool and comfortable in the heat.
- Swimwear: Don’t forget to pack your favorite swimsuit or trunks. Zanzibar’s beautiful beaches and warm waters are perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Sun protection: Bring plenty of sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from the sun’s rays. Don’t forget a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and a beach umbrella for extra shade.
- Insect repellent: Zanzibar is home to mosquitoes, especially in the evenings. Pack an effective insect repellent to avoid mosquito bites and potential diseases.
- Comfortable footwear: Pack a pair of comfortable sandals or flip-flops for beach walks and exploring the island. If you plan on hiking or visiting more rugged areas, sturdy walking shoes or sandals are recommended.
- Light jacket or sweater: Although the days are warm, the evenings can be slightly cooler. Pack a light jacket or sweater for the cooler nights.
Remember to pack any personal medications, toiletries, and travel essentials. Zanzibar has a relaxed and casual atmosphere, so there’s no need for formal attire.
Things to Do in Zanzibar During December
Zanzibar Tanzania weather in December allows for numerous activities and attractions to keep you entertained during your visit. Here are some of the top things to do:
- Explore Stone Town: The historic heart of Zanzibar, Stone Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Wander through its narrow streets, visit the vibrant markets, and admire the beautiful architecture with influences from Arab, Persian, Indian, and European cultures.
- Visit Prison Island: Take a boat trip to Prison Island, also known as Changuu Island. Explore the old prison ruins, relax on the sandy beaches, and swim with the giant tortoises that roam the island.
- Spice Tour: Zanzibar is famous for its spices, and a guided spice tour is a must-do activity. Discover the fragrant spice plantations, learn about their cultivation, and sample the fresh spices firsthand.
- Snorkeling and Diving: Zanzibar boasts some of the best snorkeling and diving spots in the world. Explore the vibrant coral reefs, encounter colorful marine life, and swim with dolphins in the clear turquoise waters.
- Take a Dhow Cruise: Embark on a traditional dhow cruise and sail along the coast of Zanzibar. Enjoy stunning views, indulge in delicious seafood, and witness breathtaking sunsets on the Indian Ocean.
- Visit Jozani Forest: Explore the Jozani Forest, Zanzibar’s only national park. Take a guided walk through the lush vegetation, spot the rare red colobus monkeys, and learn about the diverse flora and fauna of the island.
These are just a few of the many activities and attractions Zanzibar has to offer. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or simply relaxing on the beach, there’s something for everyone on this beautiful island.
Best Beaches in Zanzibar for Sunbathing and Swimming
Zanzibar is famous for its stunning beaches, and the Zanzibar Tanzania weather in December is the perfect time to enjoy the sun, sand, and sea. Here are some of the best beaches in Zanzibar for sunbathing and swimming:
- Nungwi Beach: Located on the northern tip of the island, Nungwi Beach is known for its powdery white sand and clear turquoise waters. It’s a popular spot for sunbathing, swimming, and water activities such as snorkeling and diving.
- Kendwa Beach: Just a short distance from Nungwi, Kendwa Beach is another beautiful stretch of coastline. With its calm and shallow waters, it’s ideal for swimming and relaxing. Kendwa also hosts lively beach parties and full moon parties, offering a vibrant nightlife experience.
- Paje Beach: Situated on the southeast coast of Zanzibar, Paje Beach is a paradise for kite surfers and wind enthusiasts. Its constant sea breeze and wide open spaces make it perfect for water sports. If you’re not into kiteboarding, you can still enjoy the stunning beach and relax in the seaside cafes.
- Matemwe Beach: Matemwe Beach is a quiet and secluded beach on the northeast coast of Zanzibar. It offers a peaceful and tranquil atmosphere, making it ideal for those seeking solitude and relaxation. The beach is also known for its picturesque fishing village and traditional dhow boat-building.
These are just a few examples of the many beautiful beaches Zanzibar has to offer. Each beach has its own unique charm and character, so be sure to explore and find your favorite spot to soak up the sun.
Water Activities and Excursions in Zanzibar During December
Tanzania is a paradise for water enthusiasts, and Zanzibar Tanzania weather in December provides the perfect conditions for various water activities and excursions. Here are some popular options:
- Snorkeling and Diving: Explore Zanzibar’s vibrant underwater world by snorkeling or diving. The warm waters teem with colorful coral reefs, tropical fish, and other marine creatures. Popular snorkeling and diving spots include Mnemba Atoll, Leven Bank, and the Menai Bay Conservation Area.
- Dolphin Tours: Embark on a dolphin tour and witness these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. Zanzibar is home to several species of dolphins, including bottlenose dolphins and humpback dolphins. You can swim alongside them or simply observe from the boat.
- Deep-Sea Fishing: If you’re a fishing enthusiast, Zanzibar offers excellent opportunities for deep-sea fishing. Hop aboard a fishing charter and try your luck at catching marlin, sailfish, tuna, and other game fish. It’s an exhilarating experience, even for beginners.
- Sailing and Kayaking: Explore the coastline of Zanzibar by sailing or kayaking. Rent a kayak and paddle along the calm waters, or join a sailing trip on a traditional dhow and enjoy the gentle sea breeze.
- Sunset Cruises: Treat yourself to a romantic sunset cruise and watch as the sky transforms into a canvas of vibrant colors. Sip on a refreshing drink, indulge in delicious snacks, and witness the breathtaking beauty of a Zanzibar sunset.
These water activities and excursions are just a taste of what Zanzibar has to offer. Whether you’re an adrenaline junkie or prefer a more relaxed experience, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in the turquoise waters surrounding the island.
Where to Stay In Zanzibar During December – Accommodation Options
Zanzibar offers a wide range of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Whether you’re looking for luxury resorts, boutique hotels, or budget-friendly guesthouses, you’ll find something to meet your needs. Here are a few recommendations:
- Luxury Resorts: For the ultimate indulgence, consider staying at one of Zanzibar’s luxury resorts. These resorts offer top-notch amenities, private beaches, and exquisite dining experiences. Some popular options include the Zanzibar Serena Hotel, the Meliá Zanzibar, and the Baraza Resort and Spa.
- Boutique Hotels: Zanzibar is known for its charming boutique hotels that offer a more intimate and personalized experience. These hotels often reflect the island’s rich history and culture, with stylish decor and attention to detail. The Emerson Spice Hotel, the Zanzibar Palace Hotel, and the Maru Maru Hotel are highly recommended.
- Budget-Friendly Guesthouses: If you’re traveling on a budget, Zanzibar has plenty of guesthouses and budget-friendly accommodation options. These guesthouses offer comfortable rooms, friendly service, and a chance to interact with fellow travelers. Some popular choices include the Warere Town House, the Domokuchu Beach Bungalows, and the Kisiwa on the Beach.
It’s recommended to book your accommodation well in advance, especially if you’re visiting during the peak holiday season in December. This ensures you secure your preferred choice and avoid any last-minute disappointments.
Safety Tips for Visiting Zanzibar in December
While Zanzibar is generally a safe destination, it’s always important to take precautions to ensure a smooth and enjoyable trip. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Health Precautions: Check with your doctor or travel clinic for any recommended vaccinations or medications before traveling to Zanzibar. Protect yourself from mosquito bites by using insect repellent, wearing long sleeves and pants, and sleeping under a mosquito net if necessary.
- Water Safety: When swimming or engaging in water activities, be mindful of currents and tides. Only swim in designated areas and follow the instructions of local guides or lifeguards. If you’re new to snorkeling or diving, consider taking lessons from a certified instructor.
- Personal Belongings: Keep your valuables, such as passports, cash, and electronics, secure at all times. Use a hotel safe or keep them locked in your accommodation when you’re not using them. Avoid displaying expensive jewelry or accessories that may attract unwanted attention.
- Respect Local Customs: Zanzibar is a predominantly Muslim island, so it’s important to respect local customs and traditions. Dress modestly when outside tourist areas, especially in Stone Town and local villages. Follow any guidelines or restrictions at religious sites.
- Transportation: When using taxis or other forms of transportation, ensure they are licensed and reputable. Negotiate fares in advance or use a metered taxi. If possible, arrange transportation through your accommodation or a trusted tour operator.
By following these safety tips and using common sense, you can have a safe and enjoyable trip to Zanzibar in December.
Plan Your Perfect Sunny Getaway to Zanzibar in December
Zanzibar Tanzania weather in December is a true tropical paradise, offering sun-soaked beaches, warm waters, and a vibrant cultural experience. Its idyllic weather, minimal rainfall, and festive atmosphere make it the perfect destination for a sunny getaway.
Whether you’re lounging on the pristine white sand beaches, exploring the historic streets of Stone Town, or indulging in thrilling water activities, Zanzibar has something to offer every traveler. The warm temperatures and clear skies make December the ideal time to visit.
So pack your bags, don’t forget your sunscreen, and get ready to experience the ultimate beach bliss in Zanzibar, Tanzania. December is waiting to welcome you with its sunny days and breathtaking beauty.
For more articles related to Things to Do in Tanzania (Zanzibar), click here!