Swahili Food Recipe: Coconut Grilled Chicken (Kuku wa Kupaka) Tanzanian Style
Coconut grilled chicken is the dish to make if you’re seeking for a tasty grilled chicken dish with island flavors. This coconut chicken grilled recipe immediately transports you to a magical island populated by coconuts and, mmmm…chickens (Hahaha!). The chicken is seasoned in simple spices before being grilled and coated in a delicious creamy sauce. But it really doesn’t stop there…it can’t… It goes even further… After cooking, the chicken is returned to that luxurious, oh-so-delicious sauce and then served.
You’ll need something to help absorb all of that deliciousness of the coconut grilled chicken! Fries, chapati or garlic bread are my recommendations.
Kuku Paka | Coconut Grilled Chicken
Chicken cooked to perfection with a coconut sauce (Coconut milk grilled chicken)
- one full chicken (Cut)
- two teaspoons of tandoori powder (*see below for spice mix)
- Two cups of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sliced cilantro (Swahili name: Dania)
- two tablespoons of garlic (crushed)
- a single onion (chopped)
- One tomato (chopped)
- One tablespoon of tomato paste
- salt (to get the taste)
- pepper (to get the taste)
- 1 chilli (green) (optional)
- one lemon (juiced)
If you do not possess tandoori powder, combine the spices in a spice mix.
- one teaspoon of red chilli (ground)
- a half teaspoon of turmeric (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (Spanish)
- one teaspoon of cumin (ground)
Grilled Coconut Chicken Recipe 2 Simple Steps
- Immerse chicken pieces in normal water with one tablespoon salt and one lemon. 5 minutes of soaking
- Combine one tablespoon tandoori powder as well as two tablespoons olive oil in a sealed bag.
- Toss in the chicken and let it marinate for twenty minutes. The result is a tasty grilled chicken coconut milk marinade.
The Grilled Coconut Chicken Sauce
- Add sliced onion to a thick-bottomed saucepan and cook till slightly golden.
- Combine the garlic, tomato paste and cilantro in a mixing bowl. Simmer for one minute. Add one tablespoon of tandoori.
- Continue to cook till the tomatoes have broken down.
- Put in the coconut milk and simply bring to a subtle boil
- Allow the sauce to cool before blending until smooth.
- Set aside half of the sauce and soak the prepared chicken in the remaining half
- Cook until thoroughly done.
- Mix the cooked chicken with the sauce you reserved
- Then serve the coconut grilled chicken.
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!