Swahili Food Recipe: Tanzanian Banana Soup (Mtori)
Mtori is indeed a banana-based sauce that developed in Tanzania’s Chagga area, near the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Mtori Recipe Ingredients
- One kilogram of beef cuts with the bones still attached.
- Plantain bananas (unripe)ndizi matoke\bukoba eight and mnyenyere\mshare three
- one big potato (optional)
- One carrot, one large onion, one big bell pepper
- Three tablespoons blue band/tanbond
- Salt to get the taste
Cooking Instructions for Mtori
- Place the beef chunks in a pot of normal water (enough to immerse all of the beef) and cook until ready. Remove the beef from the fire and also the beef from the sauce.
- Bananas should be peeled, sliced, cut into bits, and washed. Salt a banana and place it in a water pan. Toss the carrots, onions, and bell pepper into a banana pan.
- Cook until the bananas are soft. Check and mix the plantains frequently to ensure that they are tender.
- Remove the boiling plantains from the fire and, while introducing the beef soup, blend\crush the banana with your hands to soften it.
- While smashing the banana, add the tanbond\blueband. Add more sauce until it reaches the required consistency, then put the meat into the mtori.
- Mtori should be served with pepper and lime.
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!