Swahili Food Recipe: Tanzanian Ndizi Nyama Recipe (Green Banana and Beef)
Ndizi Nyama — in Swahili, “bananas with meat” (Ndizi Nyama in English) — is a simple but flavorful dish that is an essential feature of Tanzanian cuisine.
This dish combines coconut milk and tender meat and is made using the freshest unripe, starch bananas, a particularly East African style. Ndizi Nyama is a terrific dish to present on any given occasion!
Ingredients Used in Making Ndizi na Nyama Recipe
- 1.50-gallon water
- 1-pound lean beef, chopped into small pieces
- 1.50 teaspoon of salt
- three tablespoons. of oil
- one finely sliced onion
- two minced garlic cloves
- a third of a ginger root (minced)
- two chopped tomatoes
- one tablespoon of Tomato paste
- Coconut milk
- two peeled and split in half green cooking bananas
- Heat the water till it boils in a pan or pot to start preparing Ndizi Nyama.
- Put in the beef, ginger, salt and garlic.
- Cover and cook for fifteen minutes on moderate-low heat.
- Peel your unripe banana and chop it into quarters as the meat is cooking.
- Put the onion, tomato paste, tomatoes and oil in the saucepan after the beef is almost ready. Combine all of the spices in a big mixing bowl and simmer for about five mins.
- Then, put in the unripe banana pieces into the saucepan, cover, and cook for twenty minutes.
- Add in the coconut cream once the unripe bananas have softened a bit, around ten to twelve minutes after you started cooking Ndizi Nyama.
- Turn down the heat to a lower degree, cover the saucepan, and continue to cook for additional fifteen minutes.
- Season with salt and serve the Ndizi Nyama once the meat is cooked but soft, and a fork can easily pierce the unripe banana.
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!