Tanzania Breweries Limited TBL – The Largest Brewing Company in Tanzania
Table of Contents
- 1 Tanzania Breweries Limited TBL – The Largest Brewing Company in Tanzania
- 1.1 Brief Insight
- 1.2 History of the TBL Tanzania Breweries Limited
- 1.3 Tanzania Breweries Limited Investments and Subsidiaries
- 1.4 Tanzania Breweries Limited Products and Brands
- 1.5 Tanzania Breweries Limited Ownership
- 1.6 Governance
- 1.7 Other Important Information and Frequently Asked Questions
Tanzania Breweries Limited (TBL) is Tanzania’s largest and oldest brewing company. The company primarily produces, distributes, and sells non-alcoholic malt drinks, malt beer, and alcoholic fruit drinks in the country.
Tanzania Breweries Limited Address of Headquarter
History of the TBL Tanzania Breweries Limited
1930 – 1989
Tanzania Breweries Limited was formed in Tanzania in 1933 as Tanganyika Breweries. Tanganyika Breweries was taken over in 1935 by Kenya Breweries Limited based in Nairobi. In 1936, Tanganyika Breweries Operations and KBL were joined to form the East African Breweries Limited (EABL).
1960 – 1989
The company’s name changed in 1964 to Tanzania Breweries Limited in light of the formation of the United Republic of Tanzania by Pemba and People’s Republic of Zanzibar. In 1967, the Tanzanian Government acquired a 45 percent stake in Tanzania Breweries Limited and later acquired total control during the nationalization of industries in 1979 as per the Arusha declaration. Tanzania Breweries Limited was mismanaged following its nationalization in 1967 and continuously made losses.
The government collaborated with South African Breweries International (presently SABMiller) to operate Tanzania Breweries Limited in 1993. This was done via an investment of USD 22.5 million by SABI in Tanzania Breweries Limited, granting SABI 50 percent ownership. SABMiller, the world’s second-biggest brewing company, quickly transformed Tanzania Breweries Limited, nearly tripling its production within three years.
Tanzania Breweries Limited was listed on Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange on 9 September 1998 via a successful IPO, making it the second company to be listed on the bourse.
2000 – 2009
EABL was backed by Dageo in 2002 to acquire a 20 percent equity stake at Tanzania Breweries Limited after EABL agreed with South African Breweries International. EABL also agreed to grant SABI an identical share of KBL. In the agreement, EABL left the Tanzanian market while SABI left the Kenyan Agreement by giving its Kibo subsidiary to Tanzania Breweries Limited. The partnership granted Tanzania Breweries Limited 98 percent of the market share by 2004.
2010 to Date
EABL terminated this agreement in 2010 with an option to purchase a 51 percent stake in Serengeti Breweries Limited Tanzania, the 2nd largest brewery in Tanzania, and discarded its 20 percent stake in Tanzania Breweries Limited for $71.5 million via a secondary offer on the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange in 2011.
Tanzania Breweries Limited acquired 60 percent of the share capital of Darbrew Limited on 14 March 2013 for TShs 8,816 million and acquired the company’s control.
Tanzania Breweries Limited had a 74 percent alcoholic beverages market share as of 31 March 2013 and was one of the main beer exporters to Uganda’s Nile Breweries Limited, Kenya’s Crown Beverage Limited, and Zambia’s Zambia Breweries Limited all being SABMiller’s subsidiaries.
Tanzania Breweries Limited Investments and Subsidiaries
Tanzania Breweries Limited consists of the following companies:
- Tanzania Breweries Limited – It is the group’s flagship company. It is involved in producing, distributing, and selling non-alcoholic malt drinks, malt beer, and alcoholic fruit drinks in the country.
- Kibo Breweries Limited – 100 percent – involved in managing fixed assets. Companies within the group lease motor vehicle, machinery, and plant and furniture from Kibo Breweries Limited.
- Tanzania Distilleries Limited – 65 percent shareholding – involved in producing spiritous liquors.
- Darbrew limited – 60 percent shareholding – Involved in producing Traditional African Beverages (TAB), also called Opaque beer.
- Mountainside Farms Limited – 4 % shareholding – involved in the cultivation of barley
All the companies that makeup Tanzania Breweries Limited are based in Tanzania.
Tanzania Breweries Limited Products and Brands
Tanzania Breweries Limited currently trades eleven major brands inclusive of:
- Castle Lite
- Castle Lager
- Kilimanjaro Lager
- Safari Lager
- Ndovu Special Malt
- Castle Milk Scout
- Safari Sparkling Water
- Bia Bingwa
- Grand Malta
Tanzania Breweries Limited Ownership
Tanzania Breweries Limited shares are traded on DSE with the symbol: Tanzania Breweries Limited. The company’s shareholding stock as of 31 March 2013 is shown below.
|Tanzania Breweries Limited Stock Ownership|
Tanzania Breweries Limited is managed by a board of ten people with the Chairperson being Cleopa Msuya and the Managing Director being Philip Redman.
Other Important Information and Frequently Asked Questions
- Tanzania Breweries Limited Arusha address:
Tanzania Breweries Ltd. Tanzania Breweries Ltd. PO Box 3104 Arusha.
- Tanzania Breweries Limited website – https://www.tanzaniabreweries.co.tz/
- Tanzania Breweries Limited annual report 2015 and forward – PDF (as of year 2022)
For more related articles on Manufacturing and Business in Tanzania (Trade) click here!