Quick Overview of the Tanzanian National Social Security Fund (NSSF)
What is NSSF in Tanzania?
The National Social Security Fund (NSSF) is the Tanzanian government agency tasked with the collection, responsible investment, safekeeping, and distributing retirement benefits of workers in all sectors of the economy who are not included in the pension schemes of the government. The country has two other organizations of pension funds; the Parastatal Pension Fund for all government parastatals employees and the Public Service Pensions Fund for all workers directly under the government.
The NSSF was formed in 1997 after the collapse of the National Provident Fund (NPF). All employers in the country are covered by the NSSF and participation of both employees and employers is mandatory. It is both a provident and a pension fund.
History of NSSF Tanzania
The social security scheme started back in 1964 when NPF handled all social security issues. The National Provident Fund Act was created in 1964 followed by an amendment in 1968. In 1997, the NPF became dysfunctional and was replaced with the NSSF by the 1997 act No. 28.
About NSSF Corporate Affairs and NSSF Organization Structure
Management and Ownership
NSSF is fully owned by the Tanzanian government and is among the country’s four social security funds. The other social security funds are the Public Service Pension Fund, the Parastatal Pension Fund, and the Local Authority Pension Fund. All the finances were initially limited to different sectors of the workforce. However, the 2000s saw the liberalization of regulations and all funds being ordered to enroll workers in both the informal and formal sectors.
The fund is under the management of a twelve-member board, excluding the director-general. All members of the board have to be nationals of Tanzania, and no member of the board may hold an executive position. There are three specialized communities on the board which manage operations: the Audit Committee, the Staff Committee, and the Investment and Finance Committee.
Most of the revenue of NSSF comes from employer and employee contributions. The scheme is mandatory and is funded by contributions of 20% of the salaries of the employees, with the employees and the employers both paying half of it.
The crucial NSSF trends for 2007 to 2011 are listed below ( as of June 30):
|Amount Collected (Tshs Mil)||162,379||205,385||255,271||300,089||356,512|
|Benefits Paid (Tshs Mil)||50,522||81,818||85,120||110,135||136,596|
Tanzania NSSF Headquarters
The head office of the NSSF is located in Dar es Salaam at Benjamin Mkapa Pension Towers. The building was initially called Mafuta House. The agency has an office in all regional capitals and all main cities.
The investment policy of the NSSF requires it to invest 75% of its annual resources. Traditionally, the fund invests in fixed deposits, government securities, loans, corporate bonds, real estate, and equities. The majority of the investments are in government securities and loans and a big percentage of earnings is obtained from interests. Recently, the agency has taken on multi-billion construction projects in different regions of Tanzania and has begun investing heavily in real estate.
Investment Portfolio of NSSF 2006/07 – 2010/11
|Investment (Tshs Million)||2006/07||2007/08||2008/09||2009/10||2010/11|
NSSF TZ Major Real-Estate Projects
The bridge is a venture jointly undertaken by the NSSF(60%) and the Tanzanian Government(40%). It is 680 metres long and links Kigamboni to Kurasini in Dar es Salaam. Moreover, the funds involve upgrading the surrounding highway infrastructure to minimize congestion. The bridge is approximated to cost $140 million, with operations set to begin in early 2016. It will have a toll plaza and is the first toll road in Tanzania. NSSF’s goal is to recoup its investment via toll booth collections.
The village is among the biggest investment projects undertaken by NSSF. The satellite township is situated in the Kigamboni area and covers 300 acres. The estate will have an excess of 7000 homes and is projected to be finished in 2017. It will also have supermarkets, schools, various amenities, and security infrastructure. The project is a joint investment between the NSSF and Azimino Estate Housing Limited and is worth $544.
The NSSF admitted to fraud in 2016 for the project.
Other Important Information and Frequent Asked Questions About NSSF
- NSSF jobs – For all NSSF careers visit Google jobs
- NSSF Tanzania online
- How to register for NSSF online – NSSF portal Tanzania (NSSF login):
There are 2 main NSSF Tanzania login options to focus on when it comes to NSSF online registration:
- NSSF member portal (NSSF member login)– https://member-portal.nssf.go.tz/
- NSSF employer portal / NSSF company registration (NSSF employer login) – https://employer-portal.nssf.go.tz/index.php/auth/login
- NSSF board of directors – https://www.nssf.go.tz/administration/board-of-directors
- NSSF contacts – https://www.nssf.go.tz/contactus
- NSSF contact number (NSSF customer care number / NSSF customer service) – https://www.nssf.go.tz/contactus
- NSSF Tanzania contacts
NSSF headquarters, NSSF Dar es salaam
National Social Security Fund
Benjamin Mkapa Pension Towers,
Dar Es Salaam,
- NSSF website – https://www.nssf.go.tz/
- NSSF email address – email@example.com
- NSSF insurance – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/social-health-insurance
- NSSF registration – https://employer-portal.nssf.go.tz/index.php/auth/login
- How to check NSSF balance – Visit the following page to learn about how to complete your NSSF Tanzania balance check https://ajiraforum.com/nssf-tanzania-balance-check-how-can-i-check-my-nssf-balance-in-tanzania/
- NSSF benefits:
NSSF Tanzania benefits include but not limited to the following:
- NSSF Old Age Pension – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/old-age-pension
- NSSF Survivors’ Pension – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/survivors-pension
- NSSF Invalidity Pension – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/invalidity-pension
- NSSF Unemployment Benefit – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/unemployment-benefit
- NSSF Maternity Benefits – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/maternity-benefits
- NSSF Funeral Grant – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/funeral-grant
- NSSF Social Health Insurance / NSSF tanzania health insurance / NSSF health insurance – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/social-health-insurance
- NSSF contribution – https://www.nssf.go.tz/pages/payment-of-contributions
For more benefits of NSSF consult the official website https://www.nssf.go.tz/
- NSSF housing projects Tanzania / NSSF real estate projects:
- The first option for NSSF Tanzania houses sale as of year 2022 are the plots in Mtoni Kijichi
- The second option of NSSF houses for sale in Tanzania as of year 2022 also is the Dungu Housing project
- NSSF houses for sale in Kigamboni / NSSF Kigamboni housing project – https://www.nssf.go.tz/pages/payment-of-contributions
Among the housing NSSF projects, the agency has also implemented and continue to maintain the Nyerere Bridge project
- WESTADI NSSF Tanzania – This is a welfare scheme for Tanzanians in the diaspora, read more about it on this article from Allafrica.com
- How to check my NSSF balance – See instructions on how to do this on jobwikis.com
- Can i get my NSSF statement online – https://employer-portal.nssf.go.tz/index.php/auth/login
- How to calculate NSSF contributions – https://lenvica.com/national-social-security-fund-nssf-in-tanzania/
- How to claim NSSF benefits – https://lenvica.com/national-social-security-fund-nssf-in-tanzania/
- NSSF benefits after death – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/funeral-grant
- NSSF building location – https://www.nssf.go.tz/contactus
- NSSF late payment penalties – https://www.nssf.go.tz/pages/payment-of-contributions
- NSSF payment form – https://www.nssf.go.tz/pages/payment-of-contributions
- NSSF payment processing – https://www.nssf.go.tz/pages/payment-of-contributions
- NSSF retirement benefits – https://lenvica.com/national-social-security-fund-nssf-in-tanzania/
- NSSF Tanzania claim forms – Download pdf directly from Tanzania.eregulations.org
- NSSF Tanzania pension calculator – https://www.nssf.go.tz/benefits/old-age-pension
- Who qualifies for NSSF benefits – https://lenvica.com/national-social-security-fund-nssf-in-tanzania/
- www nssf or tz – The popular search terms in Google to get most of the pages related to NSSF Tanzania
For more articles related to the Government of Tanzania and the Society (Community), click here!