Swahili Food: Tasty Coconut Fish Curry Recipe (Mchuzi wa Samaki)
Mchuzi wa samaki wa nazi (coconut milk curry fish) is indeed a Zanzibar-inspired Tanzanian fish curry. Tanzania is at a junction in the spice trading roads from India, and curry is famous in the coastal zones, particularly ones cooked with coconut cream. This meal is now popular along Africa’s eastern coast. I supplied the curry alongside ugali, a tight cornmeal porridge that is a mainstay in Tanzanian and Eastern African meals. Tanzanians often do not use dining utensils; instead, they rely on the ugali to gather up other meal components.
This fish curry meal is effortless to prepare and packed a lot of flavors. It’s a strong contender for a nutritious weeknight dinner; however, I’d serve it on top of brown basmati grains or with a similar whole grain companion on a regular basis.
A couple of etiquette rules In Tanzania, I learned two things about dining: first, don’t sniff your meal. Sniffing anything generally means that it is rotting or unpleasant therefore inhaling your meal is a big insult to the chef. Second, it is considered impolite to turn down when offered refreshments in someone’s house. You must accept a tiny piece even if you are not hungry.
Steps to Complete This Great Curry Fish Recipe
- 1 Season the fish alongside a pinch of salt, curry powder, and a tsp of black pepper. Over moderate flame, heat a big nonstick saucepan. Mix the oil around in the saucepan to coat it. Cook for four minutes, or until the fish is browned on the bottom but uncooked on top (the fish will complete cooking later in a stew). Take the fish out of the pan.
- In the very same pot, add another tbsp of oil. Toss in the pepper and onion and sauté for four minutes, or until cooked.
- Put in the garlic as well as ginger and simmer for one  minute. Combine the 1/2 tsp salt, curry powder, lemon juice, and tomato. Reduce flame to moderate-low and simmer, stirring periodically, for ten minutes or till tomato has broken down.
- Put the curry fish in coconut milk and mix up the fish curry very well. Put back the fish into the saucepan, the brown-like side facing up, with any accumulated juices. Bring down the heat to lower setting, cover, and simmer for eight minutes, or till fish flakes readily when checked with a fork.
- This recipe of curry fish recommends you to divide the fish into four equal halves. Scoop sauce into shallow individual dishes and top with a slice of fish.
Coconut Curry Fish Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pound white firm fish
- Adjust Servings: Four
- two teaspoons of Madras curry powder + some to sprinkle
- to sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Two tablespoons of canola oil
- One yellow onion, big
- One red bell pepper, big
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Three cloves of garlic
- Two big Tomatoes
- from One lemon juice
- 3/4 cups o coconut milk (light)
- Two teaspoons of ginger (fresh)
For more articles related to Tanzania Food Recipes, click here!