The University of Dar es Salaam Tanzania – Rankings, Campuses, Notable Alumni and Faculty
The University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) is a Tanzanian public university located in the city of Dar es Salaam. It was founded as an associate college of University of London in 1961. In 1963, promptly after Tanzania won independence from the UK, the institution became an associate of the University of East Africa (UEA). In 1970, the UEA separated into three separate universities: UON in Kenya, Makerere University in Uganda, and the UDSM in Tanzania.
University of Dar es Salaam World Ranking
University of Dar es salaam Ranking in the World
The University of Dar es Salaam was ranked 1,618 worldwide among the 2000 universities by Academic Performance Center in 2012.
The institution was ranked 2,965 in 2013 among the 9803 universities ranked, but it was ranked the best university in Tanzania out of the 16 Tanzania, while the Sokoine University of Agriculture was ranked second.
University of Dar es salaam Ranking in Africa
The University of Tanzania Dar es Salaam was ranked 3,021st in the world of 3,290 institutions in 2012, 57th in the African continent, and 2nd in Tanzania after Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, according to the Scimago Institutions Rankings. The number of papers published in academic journals that are indexed in Elsevier’s Scopus database is used to determine this ranking. The institution was rated 16 in 62 African universities in 2011 based purely on its “excellence rate.” This rate shows the proportion of a scientific institution’s output that is included in the collection created by the top ten percent of the frequently cited articles in their various disciplines. It’s a metric for quality of a research organization’s output.
In July of 2012, the University of Dar es Salaam was ranked 1977th by Webometrics and first in the country, with Hubert Kairuki Memorial University coming in second.
University of Dar es Salaam UDSM Campuses
The University of Dar es Salaam works academically via 10 faculties, a number of which are unique to certain campuses, and has five campuses within Dar es Salaam. The chemical and mechanical engineering, computer systems and electrical engineering, civil engineering as well as the constructed environment faculties, for example, are all located on the College of Technology and Engineering campus. The social sciences and humanities faculty is active on both the Education college of Dar es Salaam and Mkwawa University College of Education campuses.
Muhimbili College of Health Sciences (MUCHS), became a complete university in 2007, in 2015, the university began offering a program Medical doctor, which had been non-existent in the medical college. The newly created institution began as the School of Health Sciences (SOHS) of the University of Dar es Salaam on the campus at Mlimani, before moving to the Mbeya area in 2017 as Mbeya College of Health and Allied Sciences (MCHAS) on the premises of the Mbeya zonal referral hospital.
Mlimani (which is a Swahili word meaning “on top of the hill”) is the main University of Dar es salaam Dar es Salaam Tanzania campus, which is 13km west of the city center of Dar es Salaam and houses the fundamental faculties of arts, education, science as well as social science. Moreover, 4 specialty faculties have been formed there: virtual education and informatics, management and commerce, law, and technology and aquatic science. The University of Dar es Salaam’s fifth campus is the Institute of Mass Communication and Journalism.
The reverse of the Tanzanian 500-shilling banknote features Nkrumah Hall, which is a structure at Mlimani campus.
University of Dar es Salaam Notable Alumni
- Butagira K Francis, a diplomat from Uganda
- Majaliwa Kassim Majaliwa, Tanzania’s current prime minister, serving from November 2015
- Kailembo W. Stanslaus, an Accoutant
- Zakia Meghji, the previous Tanzania’s Finance Minister
- John Garang, Sudan’s previous Vice President
- Jimmy Obgeb Joseph, a Namibian diplomat
- Jakaya Kikwete, Tanzania’s former president
- Eriya Kategaya, Uganda’s former 1st Deputy Prime Minister
- Donald Kaberuka, African Development Bank’s president
- Kabila Laurent-Desire, DRC’s former president
- Migiro Asha-Rose, Previously the UN’s Deputy Secretary General
- Benard Membe, Foreign Minister of Tanzania
- Patricia McFadden, African feminist and A Swazi Author
- Edward Lowassa, Tanzania’ previous Prime Minister
- John Magufuli, Tanzania’s former president
- Mbwete Tolly, Tanzanian Educationist, Engineer and OUT’s former Vice Chancellor
- Tundu Lissu, Tanzania Law Society’s former president and Tanzanian Politician
- Sharif Seif Hamad, Civic United Front’s Secretary General
- Jokate Mwegelo, Kisarawe’s District commissioner, actress
- Kabwe Zitto, leader of ACT Wazalendo
- Joseph Warioba, Tanzania’s former Prime Minister and Vice President
- Halima Mdee, MP
- Juma Ngasongwa, Tanzania’s former Trade Minister
- Irene Tarimo, Academician, lecturer and researcher at OUT
- Mizengo Pinda, Tanzania’s former Prime Minister
- Willy Mutunga, Kenya’s former Chief Justice
- Yoweri Museveni, Uganda’s President
- Gertrude Mongella, Pan- African Parliament’s former president
- Joyce Ndalichako, Former NECTA’s executive secretary and Minister of Education, Vocational training and Technology
University of Dar es Salaam Faculties That are Notable
- Professor of English, Molly Mahood (1954-63)
- Giovanni Arrighi, Economics Lecturer (1967-69)
- Milton Santos, Geography Professor (1974-76)
- Yash Tandon. Holder of BSc in Economics (1961) and PhD in International relations (1969) from London School of Economics (1961). He previously headed South Centre (Formerly the South Commission)
- Walter Rodney, Guyanese politician and scholar, author of How Europe Underdeveloped Africa. Holder of PhD in African History at the School of African Studies And Oriental (1996) at 24 years old.
Other Important Things to Know About the University of Dar es Salaam
- Popular faculties at the University of Dar es Salaam
- Faculty of law university of Dar es salaam – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/schools/sol
- University of Dar es salaam history department – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/colleges/cohu/department-of-history
- University of Dar es salaam computing centre (UCC University of Dar es salaam) – https://www.ucc.co.tz/
- University of Dar es salaam library journal – https://journals.udsm.ac.tz/index.php/lj
- University of Dar es salaam admission news:
- University of Dar es salaam academic calendar – 2021/2022 calendar pdf
- University of Dar es salaam courses (university of Dar es salaam programs) – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/study/catalogue/T
- University of Dar es salaam masters courses / University of Dar es salaam postgraduate courses / University of Dar es salaam phd programs – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/schools/udbs/postgraduate-programmes
- University of dar es salaam certificate courses – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/study/catalogue
- University of dar es salaam online courses – ODEL Services
- University of Dar es salaam prospectus:
- University of Dar es salaam postgraduate prospectus – 2021 / 2022 pdf
- University of Dar es salaam online application – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/offices/internationalization/applying-to-udsm
- University of Dar es salaam ARIS – https://aris2.udsm.ac.tz/
- university of Dar es salaam fee structure:
- University of Dar es salaam tuition fees – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/directorates/dica/fees-structure
- University of Dar es salaam vacancies – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/colleges/conas/announcements/job-vacancy-announcement
- University of Dar es salaam address: https://udsm.ac.tz/web/index.php/contacts
- University of Dar es salaam website – https://www.udsm.ac.tz/
University of Dar es salaam Logo
Click here for more articles related to Education in Tanzania!